Monday, September 24, 2012

My Husband Flirts Too Much, I can't take it anymore'




By Damilola Adekoya

“Are you ready to divorce your wife?” Alhaja A Olorunimbe asked Mr Rasheed Jegede, whose looks showed indeed, he was ready for a divorce.
  “Yes, my Lord!” He answered in a loud voice.
    Looking towards the direction of the other witness box, where Mrs Kudirat Jegede was standing in, The President of the Igbeyinadun customary court asked, “You have heard your husband. If being asked to give him a second chance, will you?”
  “Even the slightest chance, I cannot dare it, My Lord’, Mrs Jegede answered
   At this point, it seemed very obvious that the couples were tired of each other and there was no more love to sustain their marriage anymore.
   Mrs Kudirat Jegede had earlier approached the court, to begin sitting on a divorce case between herself and her husband. She wants dissolution of marriage she contracted with her husband in 1996, based on the grounds that he beats her and he was not responsible to his family.
   Mrs Jegede complained bitterly about her husband’s flirting attitude. She told the court, about how she caught her husband with a lady who was living three houses next to theirs, on bed.
  “On that day, I had finished from work early, I headed straight for home. As I wanted to open the door, I noticed it was locked from inside. Then I turned to peep from the window of our room, behold I caught my husband in bed with another lady. I quickly rushed back to the front door and started knocking hard, but they refused to open the door for me.
   Immediately, I remembered that there was another door in the kitchen that I could come in through. I quickly rushed there and opened it, but before I could get into the room, I couldn’t find the lady. Maybe she quickly rushed out from the main door, or my husband hid her, I cannot tell. So many other cases have happened like that, but I can remember that this particular case made him throw my things out of the house because I was angry with him. But am fed up, I cannot take it anymore, my lord.
   “All am seeking order for, She continued, is that I want the court to grant me custody of my two children, Adijat and Simbiat. They are female children and I don’t want them to be exposed to social vices”, She said in a soft voice.
  Looking so confused, Olorunimbe said. “Initially I was thinking of how I was going to resolve these issues between you two, but with the way things are, its really going to be difficult”.
  “Why have u denied your wife from seeing her kids”? Olorunimbe turned to Rasheed, whose face was hardened.
  “I have never deprived her from seeing her kids, Rasheed answered. And I have always told them that I cannot look for any other mother for them, irrespective of the rift that has happened between us. The kids were with her before, in fact, they were staying with her mother, but I took them back because a case happened that made my wife’s younger sister beat one of my daughter up to the point of death. I felt my daughters were being abused, so I decided to involve the court and the court ordered that I took the children from her. Since then, the children have been in my custody.”
  Alhaja Olorunimbe however advised Rasheed to always allow his wife to gain access to her children. The case was however adjourned for another day.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment